Italian court finds link between cell phone use and tumor

So far scientific studies have mostly concluded that mobile phones pose no serious risk to human health.
   
 

  Enlarge  Caption

So far scientific studies have mostly concluded that mobile phones pose no serious risk to human health. Enlarge Caption

A man has been awarded monthly social security payments after a court found that his brain tumor was caused by a company-issued cellphone.

"I had no choice but to use my mobile to talk to colleagues and organise work - for 15 years I was calling all the time, from home, in the vehicle", Romeo testified.

He had claimed that using his business mobile phone for three or four hours a day, over a period of 15 years, led to the growth of the benign tumour.

Over time, he developed a non-cancerous tumor and the loss of hearing in one ear.

This is the first time in the world that a court has recognised a link between mobile phone use and a brain tumour, stated the report.

Following the verdict, which was released to the public Thursday, an Italian court in Iverea awarded Romeo a state-funded pension of about $535 a month after a medical examiner determined Romeo's brain cancer damaged 23 percent of his bodily function.

'The norms say intense use is one hour a day, ' Romeo told Sky TG24. "I went well beyond the limits".

"We know that many people are concerned about a possible connection between mobile phone use and the development of brain tumours", said Dr David Jenkinson, chief scientific officer for the Brain Tumour Charity. His lawyer said those could include reducing cel phone use and using specialized anti-radiation ear buds.

The Codacons consumer protection agency says it is considering a class-action based on the Romeo decision to have cellphones carry health warnings in Italy, and also to have the health risks associated with cellphone use recognized generally by Italy's social security agency.

Latest News