American teen dies of caffeine overdose

Top Tri State News

American teen dies of caffeine overdose

A coroner says a 16-year-old SC high school student who collapsed and died in a classroom had heart problems caused by drinking too much caffeine.

Richland County Coroner Gary Watts release the cause of death for the teen that collapsed at Spring Hill High School, saying it was a "caffeine-induced cardiac event".

Watts explained that the teenager ingested the caffeine from a big Diet Mountain Dew, a cafe latte from fast food giant McDonald's as well as an energy drink within around a couple of hours.

Two hours before he collapsed, Cripe drank a cafe latte, a large Diet Mountain Dew and an energy drink.

The recommended limit of caffeine consumption for an average adult is not more than 400 mg a day.

"Many parents look upon the likes of Red Bull and Monster in the same way as any other fizzy drink, but don't take into consideration the huge amount of sugar and caffeine in them".

At a news conference on Monday, the boy's father said his son was very careful about drugs and alcohol. "Our goal here today is to let people know, especially our young kids in school, that these drinks can be unsafe, and be very careful with how you use them, and how many you drink on a daily basis".

Holding back tears, Mr. Cripe said, "It wasn't a auto crash that took his life".

She told the Irish Independent: "Some energy drinks contain up to 17 and a half teaspoons of sugar and have the equivalent of two to three cups of coffee".

"Our goal here today is to let people know, especially our young kids in school, that these drinks can be unsafe, and be very careful with how you use them, and how many you drink on a daily basis", said Gary Watts, Richland County Coroner.

Latest News