Former US Rep. Anthony Weiner faces charges in sexting case

Top Tri State News

Top Tri State News

Trump and other Republicans accused her of endangering national security by exposing classified information to potential hacking.

Former congressman Anthony Weiner, whose penchant for sexting strangers online ended his political career and led to an investigation that upended the presidential race, has pleaded guilty to transmitting sexual material to a minor and could get years in prison.

Anthony Weiner is reportedly set to plead guilty to a charge related to the sexting scandal that played a major role in last year's presidential election. The plea deal with federal prosecutors included Weiner's agreement not to appeal any sentence of 27 months or less.

Weiner said in court that he was first contacted by the girl in January 2016 and that for two months, he "engaged in obscene communications with this teenager, including sharing explicit images and encouraging her to engage in sexually explicit conduct, just as I had done and continued to do with adult women".

In court, the 52-year-old former Democratic congressman paused repeatedly as he fought back tears and tried to compose himself.

Shortly before the election, then-FBI Director James Comey announced that the newly discovered emails needed to be examined, as part of the investigation of Clinton's use of a private email server.

This discovery led the Federal Bureau of Investigation to revisit the case of Clinton's personal email use as secretary of state - while the case was again shuttered, Clinton has since cited that development as contributing to her defeat.

Trump fired Comey days later amid the FBI's probe into whether Trump's campaign colluded with Russian Federation to defeat Clinton, an allegation the president has vehemently denied.

Weiner, who served parts of New York City for 12 years in the U.S. House of Representatives, resigned in 2011 after an explicit photograph was posted on his Twitter account.

Weiner quickly left the Manhattan courthouse after the proceedings, being hustled into a waiting vehicle and taking no questions from the throngs of reporters. He first blamed the image on being hacked, a claim he later retracted. Public Advocate Bill de Blasio held a clear lead Tuesday night in New York City's mayoral Democratic primary as polls closed, according to early and incomplete voting returns.

Latest News