Muntari ban overturned after racism protest

Donsah ready to join black players strike for suspended Muntari

The former Cagliari ace has hailed the boycott idea in solidarity with his suspended compatriotMore

Government has criticized the Italian Football Association for failing to punish some football fans who racially abused Ghanaian worldwide, Sulley Muntari, during a Serie A game earlier this week.

Ghana's Former President John Dramani Mahama, has also backed Sulley Muntari's walk-off after he was racially abused by fans during Pescara's Serie A match with Cagliari on Sunday. "We think that this action by the Italian Football Federation Disciplinary Committee and the referee, is counterproductive and will further arm the racists with confidence to go on the pitch and verbally abuse any player", he said. "I have felt angry and isolated", he said in a statement issued by the worldwide professional players' association FIFPro.

Muntari is clear to return for this weekend's game at home to Crotone. I hope it can be a turning point in Italy and show the world what it means to stand up for your rights.

Now, after having the ban lifted on appeal with the support of the Italian players' union, Muntari has spoken out over the incident which even prompted a reaction in his favour by the United Nations' top human rights official.

Britain's Kick It Out anti-discrimination group had called Italy's football authorities "gutless" over the ban.

- Mr Yeboah (@ikejnr_23) May 1, 2017Still waiting to hear expressions of solidarity from a single Serie A player who isn't black.

"What am I supposed to do? We need this to stop". "You handled things perfectly", the Juventus and Italy legend told the 32-year-old.

Muntari received the backing of Alessandro Del Piero, who works as a pundit for Sky Calcio, after the match. "Sulley therefore chose to leave in protest".

Pescara, bottom of the table, have already been relegated.

Otras noticias