Germany's biggest rock festival will resume after being disrupted by fears of a possible "terrorist threat" which have proved to be unfounded, the organisers said Saturday.
"As safety is paramount, and it is necessary to exclude a threat to festival visitors in any case as far as possible, it was chose to suspend the festival for this day", they said.
They said that "at least one person of non-German origin on which there was police information in the area of terrorism had access" to secure areas at the event.
The organiser of the Rock am Ring festival said his event was "paying the price" for officials' failure to prevent the December attack on a Christmas market in Berlin.
German police said the bombing had led to changes in planning for Rock am Ring, with the number of security officials increased substantially to 1,200.
The festival was evacuated on Friday in a procedure that participants described as calm, with festival-goers reportedly singing You'll Never Walk Alone as they left the site.
Some 85 bands were due to play on four stages over the weekend, with Germany's Toten Hosen headlining Saturday's bill and California's System Of A Down due to perform on Sunday.
People headed back to the venue near the Nurburgring race track a day after the site was evacuated due to what police described as a "potential terrorist threat". "We have to support the police investigations", according to a translated statement provided to Billboard by festival owner Live Nation. So sad. Thank you to all the fans who were there for our show. 90,000 people are expected at the festival, which ends on Sunday.
Last year's Rock am Ring program was curtailed by violent storms in which dozens of people were injured by lightning.