Republic of Ireland squad: Maguire earns senior global call-up

Maguire included in provisional Republic of Ireland squad

World Cup 2018: Sean Maguire handed first Republic of Ireland call-up

O'Neill selected a 39-man panel for the double header as Ireland look to get back to winning ways in the hope of qualifying for next summer's World Cup in Russian Federation.

The talented scorer subsequently scored 20 goals in the SSE Airtricity Premier Division before a move to Preston North End last month. "I hope he can get a chance". "That's the way to give him a chance to be really ready when he finally does make a debut".

Sean Maguire has been called up to the provisional Republic of Ireland panel for the games away to Georgia on September 2 and home to Serbia on September 5.

Maguire is likely to have to remain patient with Jonathan Walters, Shane Long, Daryl Murphy, David McGoldrick and Kevin Doyle now ahead of him in the pecking order.

Cunningham last won a cap for his country in 2013.

It is Maguire's first call-up to the senior squad, the striker having joined North End in July from League of Ireland leaders Cork City.

Burnley's Stephen Ward, Jonathan Walters and Robbie Brady have also made the squad.

O'Neill said: "I spoke to him 10 days ago and he said he was coming back well from the leg break".

"We need to remain unbeaten if we can and probably need to win at least three out of the four games". "It's early days yet, but it is really encouraging".

Latest News