Hurricane recovery enough for Florida to host Tennessee

Tennessee QB situation: Stable starter Quinten Dormady leads; dynamic Jarrett Guarantano rising

Vols Football: Tennessee Can't Make Same Mistake With Ty Chandler

"After meeting with the City of Gainesville, campus officials and numerous staffing entities to discuss hosting the game, we are pleased that the Florida-Tennessee football game will take place in Gainesville Saturday as scheduled".

The Gators (0-1) will host Tennessee (2-0) at 3:30 p.m. ET and the game will be televised on CBS.

Last season, the Vols snapped an 11-game losing streak against their rivals, but Florida wound up winning the SEC East anyway. The stadium sustained only minor damage to signage.

"Now that the storm has passed through Gainesville, the University of Florida is working with local authorities to assess the effect of the storm on the campus and the Gainesville community, at the same time ensuring the appropriate security and local officials are available to host a game", said SEC Commissioner Greg Sankey.

Florida (0-1) had to cancel its home opener against Northern Colorado ahead of Irma's landfall, and had opened its season with a 33-17 loss against MI. It's unclear how much practice and meeting time Florida missed in the past week.

"We appreciate the communication, coordination and cooperation among the many agencies and groups necessary to produce a game in a safe environment".

There had been concern whether the Tennessee-Florida game could and would be played in Gainesville.

With cleanup continuing throughout the week in and around Gainesville, fans are advised that traffic may be heavier than normal and are encouraged to arrive to the game early.

Tennessee comes into the game with the Gators at 2-0 after a wild double-overtime 42-41 win over Georgia Tech.

Florida has dealt with hurricanes in each of the last two years.

Heading into this match-up, the Volunteers are tied for 68th in NCAA Division I football in passing offense as they average 228 yards per game.

Florida lost one home game due to Hurricane Irma. Bettors are putting their money on Tennessee to cover the spread, with 61% of them for the fan favorites and the remaining 39% on the underdogs, the Gators.

I know Florida has had an extra week to rest and prepare for this game, but their performance against MI was far from inspiring and the Gators could've really used that tune-up game against Northern Colorado to work out the kinks. "Our thoughts and prayers are with those affected by Hurricane Irma and other recent storms throughout the SEC footprint, and we're grateful for the opportunity to travel to Florida this weekend".

Latest News