Nuclear Weapons Experts Warn Trump Against Abandoning Iran Deal

Experts urge Trump not to abandon Iran nuclear deal

Nuclear Nonproliferation Experts Urge Trump Not to Abandon Iran Nuclear Deal

More than 80 experts on nuclear proliferation urged the Trump administration not to abandon the Iran nuclear deal in a statement on Wednesday.

Iran's government spokesman Mohammad Baqer Nobakht said on Wednesday that the nuclear deal was signed between Iran and six countries, not just the USA, and definitely a "rearrangement" will be on the way if the Trump administration quit the multilateral agreement. Current U.S. President Donald Trump has criticized the deal but not moved to withdraw the U.S. from it.

Iran and six world powers, namely Britain, China, France, Germany, Russia and the United States, reached an agreement on the Iranian nuclear issue in July 2015, which put Tehran on the path of sanctions relief, with more strict limits and monitoring on its nuclear program. The group said it was "concerned by statements from the Trump administration that it may be seeking to create a false pretext for accusing Iran of noncooperation or noncompliance with the agreement in order to trigger the reimposition of nuclear-related sanctions against Iran".

Last week, US Ambassador to the United Nations Nikki Haley described the deal as a "very flawed and very limited agreement", and claimed that Iran has been caught in multiple violations of the accord.

The experts who signed the letter, though, described the agreement as "an effective and verifiable arrangement that is a net plus for worldwide nuclear nonproliferation efforts" and warned against leaving it.

They said that abandoning the deal "without clear evidence of an unresolved material breach by Iran. runs the risk that Tehran would resume some of its nuclear activities".

Latest News