President Donald Trump's nominee to serve as the No. 2 official at the Federal Emergency Management Agency withdrew from consideration Wednesday following questions about a 2011 federal investigation.
Craig told NBC News that the report was the result of "poor" investigating and that some information contained in it was wrong.
But, NBC reported, neither the inspector general nor the Federal Bureau of Investigation charged Craig with a crime.
Craig did not immediately respond to requests for comment. "However, I respect his decision to withdraw from consideration at this time to ensure that the focus on FEMA remains on the lifesaving and community restoring work the agency does so well".
"We're not going to get into the back and forth", Sanders said, adding that the White House was "not going to go down rabbit holes on personnel" while FEMA is still focusing on recovery efforts from back-to-back hurricanes.
He also said he made the Senate Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs, which had been conducting the hearing into his nomination, aware of the investigation.
According to the report, while he was working for the agency Craig looked for work at a firm, The Shaw Group, that had received a FEMA contract.
Investigators launched the probe to determine whether Craig broke conflict of interest laws by seeking employment at firms bidding for contracts with FEMA, per NBC News.
The report on that probe is not public, but NBC News obtained a copy.
Craig said he first saw the 2011 report on Monday. The report found that while Craig claimed on a voucher that an August 2005 trip to Baton Rouge, Louisiana, was for FEMA business, the trip was actually for an interview with The Shaw Group.